Friday, January 26, 2007

Le Vendome

While staying in Vientiane we decided to spoil ourselves and eat out at a fancy restaurant. Sam (a guy I work with) had recommended to me that I eat at a French restaurant called Le Vendome and he said I had to try the souffle "It's bull shit" was his description. This is a good thing. So we got dressed up in our best backpacker clothes and headed out. We were seated and given menus and drinks. We ordered in French with all of us pooling our French to work out what everything was. I think even though I speak no real French I was best with the menu knowing more terms and food items than Annie or Katie both of whom speak a little French. We ordered:

Creme de potiron
Gratin de choux flour au becon
La fougasse
Magret au canard de barbarie
Escalope duc de guise
Souffle au chocolat avec coilis de chocolat chaud
Souffle au citron avec coulis de miel d'accacia
Creme brulee

I ordered the house red as I couldn't eat duck without wine but couldn't bear to pay as much for my wine as a week of travel. As it was at US$3 a glass it was as much as a room in Cambodia. The food was great, as much because it wasn't rice or noodles as the fact that it was well cooked French cuisine. My duck was medium the chicken was moist the soup was creamy and the vegetables presented on the plate were perfectly cooked and arranged with care.

Of course the whole reason we had come was to see the souffle and we were not disappointed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Souffle au citron avec coulis de miel d'accacia

Personally I liked the lemon the best but the girls liked the chocolate more. I think though the brulee was my favourite desert as it was text book just set wonderfully creamy and the caramel nice and dark. While we were having desert the Chef came out to wander through the restaurant and he gave us a look of "I am glad you are enjoying that but who do you think you are you pigs" as we shoveled souffle into our faces. It was very funny for us at least.

We were a little anxious to see the bill knowing we had spent more than we normally would and more than two nice guest house rooms but for US$25 we really couldn't complain. All in all it was well worth it for a memorable great meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.1 Australia License. Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counters